1 large roasting chicken, whole
2 tsp kosher salt
2 tsp pepper
1 tsp ground cardamom
1 tsp coriander
2 medium oranges, zested and juiced
1 medium lemon, zested and juiced
3 c Blue Moon Belgian White Ale
1/2 c brown sugar
4 tbsp honey
2 cloves garlic, chopped
- Wash chicken and remove innards. Refrigerate until dry and ready for spice rub
- Combine salt, pepper, cardamom, and coriander and one half of the zest to make a dry rub. Rub inside the chicken cavity and the outside of the chicken with the spice rub. Place on a rack in a roasting pan and pour two cups of Blue Moon in the roasting pan.
- Roast in preheated 355 degree oven for 1 1/2 - 2 hours, until the chicken's thigh reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees. Turn the chicken over at least once during roasting. Remove the chicken from the oven; drain any excess fat from pan drippings. Collect drippings from the pan and pour them in the remaining 1 cup of Blue Moon.
- To make the glaze, combine the remaining zest, brown sugar, honey, pan drippings, juices from the lemon and oranges, and chopped garlic. Heat over medium heat until the volume reduces by one half.
- To glaze the chicken, raise the temperature of the oven to 450 degrees. Allow to roast 10 minutes on each side and bast with a light coat of glaze each time you turn the chicken over.
- Remove the chicken from the oven when it reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees. Continue to baste all sides of the chicken while it is resting.
- Carve and serve with remaining glaze, serve with salad, and baked yams.
Hubby Rating: 10! This is an amazing meal! It seems a little labor intensive, but is actually quite simple and makes the whole house smell amazing!